Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Laying Out The Pattern When Teaching Kids To Sew

We are starting our second project, a skirt! Our first step with any sewing project is to decide on what you are going to make. I let the girls choose between making a skirt or a pair of shorts or pants. They chose to make the skirt.

Then we read over the pattern directions. This is something that I learned from my mom, read all the directions through at least one time. This way you figure out exactly what they are saying and you won't make too many big mistakes, hopefully! Then we made our list of things that we needed from the store, this would include any fabric-what size and how much, thread, notions-buttons, zippers, elastic, whatever you need to complete the project. The list of materials needed are always found on the back of the pattern. With the kids can sew curriculum, the list is found at the back of the book for whatever year you are teaching.

Because I already have a ton of fabric, okay maybe I'm exaggerating--but just a little, the girls and I sat down and went through the material that I already had. After picking out a few choices the girls then made their final choice for what material they are going to use. The first thing to buy is your fabric because everything else you use will be built around what fabric you chose, the kind as well as the color.

We did have to purchase some thread to match the color and kind of fabric we were using, elastic, as well as some buttons which will be used as embellishments on the completed project. If you already have the fabric on hand make sure that you take a small swatch with you when you are shopping for the other items you will need, you will not believe how many different shades of pink thread there are until you get to the store. Then you will be grateful that you have your swatch with you to match it up!

The next step is to lay out your fabric and get the pattern pinned on so you can cut out the pieces. When you are working with kids let them do as much as possible, yes the cut lines will be a little crooked as well as the sewing, but how are they suppose to learn if you are doing everything for them. I would also suggest buying extra material so if there happens to be an accident of cutting wrong or such then you will have more on hand so you and the child can whip out the extra and learn from the mistakes that have been made. Even now I buy extra material for whatever project I am doing, maybe that is why I have so much fabric laying around. But it has been a lifesaver for when I have laid the pattern out wrong, cut wrong, sewn wrong, you get the point.

A quick word about layout, lay out your pieces before you start cutting. Pin everything down first, then cut. If you don't have the room to lay it all out then do what I do. I work in small parts, and neatly fold up the pieces on the large piece of fabric and unfold the fabric without any pieces as I go. This way you make sure that you have it laid down right and you have enough material for the pieces. Nothing is worse than getting to the end and you don't have enough material left to pin and cut out the last piece of the pattern. Just trust me on this. I should have listened to that piece of advice from my mom as well, some of us are just too stubborn for our own good!
With all our pieces cut out we are ready to take the next step and start sewing!


No comments: